I'm Concerned About Someone Else's Hearing
It can be particularly challenging if someone close to you has a hearing loss. However, there are some things you can do immediately to help.
If you have a partner or family member with untreated hearing loss, then you know all too well the effect that this can have on your relationship and communciation.
It can be a frustrating - and sometimes delicate - situation to deal with, particularly if they are not prepared to acknowledge the situation, or accept the impact that their hearing loss is having on themselves and others.
The most important thing to know is that you are not alone. Yours is a very common situtation.
While this may be a difficult conversation to have, it is important over time to move this person closer to a point of taking action. We hope this website and the community of people and support available through it, will provide you with the information, tools and support, to achieve this.
We recommend you:
- Learn more about hearing loss
- Suggest an online hearing test
- Discuss the situation with your local doctor
- Find some useful products to use at home
- Use our simple tips to improve your communication
- Chat online to others in the same situation
- Read about other people's similar experiences
You may also like to:
Jenny Donnithorne, RN, BA (Journ), MMark, October 2011